Garage Door Repair Cost – Garage Door Repair vs Replacement
If your garage door is noisy, broken, or just not working right, you might be worried about whether your door needs to be repaired or replaced. The good news is that most garage door issues can be repaired and won’t require an entire replacement, especially if you keep your garage door properly maintained.
On average, garage door repair costs much less than getting a new door (though sometimes replacement is the best option). Here’s how to figure out whether you need repair or replacement, what affects garage door repair costs, and the value of professional repair.
When to Repair vs. Replace Your Garage Door?
This list is only a general guide – having a professional assess your garage door is the only way to know for sure whether your door needs to be repaired or replaced.
When to Repair Your Garage Door
Typically, it will be more cost effective to repair your garage door when you notice sudden issues or minor damage.
These may include:
When to Replace Your Garage Door
Garage door replacement is usually the best option if you have long-term concerns or the door was majorly damaged.
This may mean:
- Your door has been acting up or making weird noises for a while and it’s only getting worse
- Your energy bill has been high and you want to better insulate your garage
- You don’t love the way your garage door looks and want to improve your curb appeal (for yourself or a potential buyer)
- You want to upgrade your door to get modern security, safety, & quality of life features
- You’ve had a break-in and need to better protect your home
- Your door has major structural damage from weather, vehicles, or some other traumatic event
Average Garage Door Repair Cost
Home Advisor reports the national average garage door repair cost at $242, though repairs can cost $1,500 or more depending on the issue.
Actual garage door repair costs can vary significantly based on things like:
- Which parts need to be repaired or replaced. Things like springs and sensors are less costly to repair and replace, while cables, chains, and tracks are more costly.
- If multiple components need to be repaired or replaced, your costs may be higher than average.
- Panel and window repair costs vary based on the door’s size, shape, material, brand, and style.
- Extent of the problem (is the problem just your springs, or does it also affect the cables, tracks, etc.?)
- Whether your technician uses cheap parts or higher quality parts will affect costs.
- Choosing an experienced, highly rated company can increase your up front costs, but will save money long term and give you peace of mind that your garage door is functioning optimally and safely.
- Location of service – garage door repair costs vary widely from city to city and state to state.
To get an accurate estimate for how much your repairs will cost, you’ll need an in-person quote from a professional technician.
Value of Professional Garage Door Repair
Professionally trained technicians know how to repair garage doors quickly and correctly the first time. Garage door systems are complex, and DIY repairs can create additional costly issues that need to be fixed immediately or down the road.
- Poor workmanship can decrease your quality of life and lower the value of your home by creating unappealing noises, making your door unstable, and posing a safety hazard to your home’s occupants and guests.
- High-quality workmanship ensures all aspects of the garage door are operating smoothly and cohesively within the whole system. This means you have fewer repairs over time, your garage is more appealing to potential buyers, and you don’t have to worry about your family’s safety.
In the case of Precision Garage Doors, you’re paying for decades of experience and professional training. Our technicians can repair all major brands of garage doors and openers. We have the comprehensive industry knowledge to help you make the best decisions for your home. We’re locally owned and operated with the backing of the Precision national brand.
CALL US TODAY!
When you schedule a service appointment with Precision Garage Door, a professional, uniformed technician will arrive at your home in a fully stocked truck. This ensures that at every appointment the necessary tools will be available. We don’t waste your time misdiagnosing the issue, waiting for parts, or arranging additional service appointments.
Serving Greenville, SC and surrounding areas, we can fix broken springs, cables, openers, and more to get your door operating safely and correctly. For more information or to schedule a service visit, please contact us today.